Monday, October 30, 2006

God is the Gospel

Having gone to the Piper conference last week, I have had one overwhelming thought in my mind . . . God is the gospel. A passage of Scripture that has been pulsing through my mind is from Psalm 73:24-25. It has been so instrumental in my life this last week that I memorized it and I have been quoting it frequently throughout the week:

“Whom have I in heaven but you, and on earth there is nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail but you are the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

In talking with a sister in the faith this last weekend, she also reminded me of the verse right before this one. It says something like, before I recognized that God was my all, I was a BRUTE BEAST before You.

In my process of sanctification, I have found that I have been a brute beast in so many ways. I often think that things of this world will fulfill me and I forget that it is God alone that brings joy. Even good things screw up my perspective, because I begin to love the good things more than God.

A quote from Augustine that has been resonating in my life this last week goes something like this: “He loves Thee too little, who loves anything together with Thee which is not for Thy sake alone.”

I thank God for men of faith like Piper and Augustine who remind me to glory only in my Father in heaven. I desire to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness. I desire to hope only in God. I desire to pursue God and God alone. In God alone is the fullness of joy and pleasures forevermore.

“Lord, help me to truly apply the fact that You are the Gospel!”

6 Comments:

Blogger rustypth said...

amen, brother. God should always be the first in our life. Oh how true is it that things ... legitimate things get put before God. Until death, or the glorious return of Christ, we must continue fighting against our remaining sin each day by putting God first... putting God first before all things by doing all things for His sake.

2:11 AM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger Jonathan Roberts said...

Hey brotha!

Yes, I too was both encouraged and convicted to live more passionately for the glory and enjoyment of God.

I remember reading through the Psalms awhile ago and stumbling across that same passage in Psalm 73. It reminded me of Phil 1:21, " for to me to live is Christ and to die is gain"... "whom have I..."

Have a great week man.

7:44 AM, November 14, 2006  
Blogger rustypth said...

this entry is become a Dinosaur, mwuahaha. That's so funny. Or maybe it's just that it's nearly 3am =)

1:55 AM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger rustypth said...

haha, "becoming"*

1:56 AM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger Brent Klontz said...

Hey Case,

I guess I don't feel like I should do another post until you give me some grief. Thanks bro. . . it's coming soon, there are just so many new things in my life that I can't begin to blog about them all. BJK

9:49 PM, November 21, 2006  
Blogger rustypth said...

Brent,

hehe, that's what I'm here for.

*hopes Brent knows he's just kiddin around*

Love you, bro

1:13 AM, November 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home