Monday, September 05, 2005

The Lord is my Shepherd

John 10:11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”

From the time that I was young I remember memorizing the 23rd Psalm about how the Lord is my Shepherd . . . it was actually so long ago that I memorized it, that I still remember it in the King James Version with phrases like, “he MAKETH me to lie down,” and “YEA though I walk through the valley. . .” Well what is absolutely astonishing to me is how quickly I forget what I already know! I desperately want to apply what I know about the Lord and how he is the shepherd of my life. However, it wasn’t until yesterday when I was studying in John 10 that I was reminded that the Lord truly is my shepherd.

As a young man with many hopes, dreams, and desires, I am so quick to try to be the shepherd of my own life. Last night I even used a phrase that stoops to show how far off the mark I’ve been . . . I said, “I need to let God be God.” What a STUPID phrase to say! Of course God is God! Why would I have been so proud as to think that I could run my own life and attempt to shepherd myself in the ways that I think would be best? I do not know, but what I have been reminded of is that Christ is my shepherd. Not only is he my shepherd, but he laid down his life for His sheep. He loved me so much that He would die for me. WOW!

I do not wish to forget this lesson quickly; for truly the Lord is my shepherd, and he knows exactly what I need when I need it. I desire to simply run to his fatherly arms and wrap myself up in them as he protects and guides me through my life. He knows what’s best and I am so thankful for the way He gently reminds me that he is the good Shepherd, I am his sheep. He is the great creator, I am His creation. He is the King, I am His worshipper.

“Lord, thank you for being my Shepherd and for loving me so much as to die for me. Let me trust in you to hold the heavens in place and to establish my own life for your glorious purpose. In the name of Christ, Amen.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home