Tuesday, July 05, 2005

WOW, GOD ANSWERS PRAYER!!!!

Well I really can’t even begin to express the amazing day that I have had so far. As most of you know, one of the main reasons I am here in Hermosillo is because the missionaries here specifically requested to have a Christian drum teacher come and teach a few of their youth enough so they could play in the church service. Well, one of my students down here is Jorge in whose house I am currently living. His father is not a believer and yesterday I specifically asked for prayer that God would allow me to be a witness to Jorge’s dad Antonio . . . . a little more stage setting. . . well every morning before I start the lessons with Jorge, we pray, have a devotional time in Spanish, and then we memorize some scripture. This morning we reviewed I Corinthians 10:31 in Spanish and then went on to John 14:6. Now the stage is set.

I finished with the drum lesson at the church, Jorge and I drove back to his house, and we all had lunch together (here in Mexico, many people take 3 hours for lunch so Antonio is normally home for this time). As we began eating some great Mexican food, Antonio who speaks no English at all, started to ask me some questions about my family and if they were Christians or not. Quickly, God opened up a chance for me to share the gospel. Normally, he might have been very put off by someone sharing with him, but my extremely limited vocabulary seemed to be actually quite humorous to him and he seemed to be very involved in the conversation (at one point, I even used the word fish “pescado” for sin “pecado” to which there was much laughing). I found that he is quite confused as to what religion is right since he was raised Catholic, went to a Jehovah’s Witness church for about five years later in life, and is now just very confused about what church is right since his wife and kids go to the Christian church here. That being said, Jorge and I began to quote in Spanish the verse that we had just learned that morning from John 14:6 where Jesus says that he is the only way to God. I truly believe that God appoints opportunities to share the gospel and looking back at these last couple of days, I am completely amazed at the sovereignty of God.

After sharing the gospel for about 20 minutes in broken yet understandable Spanish, I was so joyful that God granted me this opportunity and I was so thankful that God answers prayer. Keep praying for my new family and specifically that God would open Antonio’s eyes to the gospel. Love in Christ, Brent

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so awesome, God communicates even when we have such a limited ability to do so ourselves. Brent, we are praying for you and love you and your passion for our Lord.

9:45 PM, July 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is amazing. God works in such wonderful and mysterious ways. I will be praying that God uses you in awesome ways during the next month in Mexico!

10:37 PM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger Mike said...

God uses the available and Brently, that is what you are, ready and available. It is cool to see Him work through you!!!
Mike

10:42 PM, July 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brencito bebe,

The Lord be praised for this great providence! In our weakness, He is strong! It sounds like the guy was even more inclined to listen because of the struggle with the language...The Lord is SO amazing!

Brencito, we are so jazzed to hear how God is using you....we knew He would!!

4:33 PM, July 06, 2005  
Blogger Isaac W said...

That's so cool Brent! Thanks for keeping all of us so up-to-date. The Lord has genuinely encouraged my heart through your story (God's story). May he be glorified in all things!

7:15 PM, July 06, 2005  
Blogger rustypth said...

praise God Brent. I look forward to taking you out to dinner when you're back =)

12:19 AM, July 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home