Monday, June 27, 2005

DRIVING AND MEXICO . . . YIKES!!!

As I mentioned in my last entry, my map of Hermosillo has been very close to my heart. When I first arrived in Hermosillo a few days ago, I felt a renewed passion for the truths in the Bible and simply to have more zeal to treat it as God’s very Word . . . which it is. This mainly came about as I was trying to drive Hannah and Amy to the missionaries house that they are staying with and I didn’t have a clue how to get there (lets just say that they don’t exactly have mapquest, and at this point in time I didn’t have my Mexican cell phone working yet. So, that map was my livelihood and Amy Paasch did an excellent job being my navigator. I guess we look kind of dumb though with a huge map of the city on our laps as we are driving down the street, but who cares. Without the map, I would be pretty lost.

Anyway, the drivers down here are much different than in the states, and yesterday I had the pleasure of learning this lesson the hard way. First to put the story in perspective, here are a few of my 20 specific prayer requests that I gave out before the trip:

14. That God would bless my locomotion throughout the trip (safety and no accidents).
16. That I would consider it pure joy through any trials I encounter.
19. That my joy would not be circumstantial.

Well, in Gods providence, he allowed two of these three prayers to be answered (#16 and #19) at the expense of #14.

As I was driving Hannah and Amy by a house that they used to live at while they were serving as missionaries here in Hermosillo for 3 years, I was driving about 10 mph in the street and was going to do a U-turn. I saw the big Ford pickup behind me, but he must have thought I was parking (even though I was very close to the middle of the street starting to turn around. Well, here in Mexico, rather than stopping, many people try to squeeze right by obstacles like immoveable cars. However, this guy did not have enough room to squeeze by to avoid hitting the parked car on the other side of the residential street, and thus he barely nudged my front left bumper. Hannah, Amy, and I thought that it was his fault though he tried to claim the opposite. However, the damage seemed to be so minimal that I didn’t want to get the police involved.

Though I could have been very frustrated about the small inconvenience, I was just blown away at the many blessings that God gave me this day. No one got hurt at all, I learned a great lesson about driving in Mexico, I have a great story to tell, I was able to say “God bless you” in Spanish to the guy and be a witness for Christ, I was able to be reminded that everything I own is Gods and this world is so temporary compared to my eternal home in Heaven, and it lead me to pray right away to God. I can’t think of a way God could have blessed me more. Though the damage is very small, I do need to have someone just pull out my bumper above my front left tire since right now my drivers side door does not open all the way. One of my Mexican friends (Victor) from the church Maranatha has already told me he would give me a ride if I needed to leave my car at a shop overnight. I have just been continually astounded at Gods faithfulness to me as I am here in Mexico. Praise His marvelous name!!!

Love you all and keep praying for me!

Brent

Philippians 4:4-9
4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!
5 Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near.
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
9 The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home