Monday, January 31, 2005

INTERNATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES

After writing the earlier blog "A Heart for Sinners," I left my table joyfully whistleing, This Little Light of Mine. Never have I before whistled this song with such enthusiasm . . . It was as if by whistleing this tune I thought God might give me a chance to share his glorious name. I wasn't far from the truth. As I whistled my way right up to my management entrepreneurship class, I somehow became excited about this class. Not only was I going to have the opportunity to learn, but I was just downright thankful for the joy of Christ that was in my heart. Anyway, having arrived earlyto class, I just sat and waited. All of the sudden, in walks the international business student I had mentioned in an earlier blog. She is of Chinese origin, speaks three languages, and is working on her fourth. Desperately desiring to share about God with this girl, I thought of how I might do this. Thinking of her name, Grace, I thought, "how can I use her name as a means to share about Christ?" It suddenly dawned on me that she might not even know the meaning of this name. So, I asked her how she ended up with her name. Grace is actually not even her real name I found out, but rather, it was a name she chose when she went to England 11 years ago. So, I casually asked her if she knew what it meant. She said no, so I proceeded to tell her. "Grace," I said, "actually means unmerited or undeserved favor." As she pondered that for a moment, I told her that as a Christian grace is a gift freely given by Jesus Christ. She then mentioned that she has run across a large number of songs that have this word in it, and also mentioned something about a Bible. I asked her what her religious background was, and discovered that she was raised as a Buddhist. I am looking forward to how God might use me in the two classes that I have with this girl. Out of 40 people, she somehow managed to sit by me in both classes. God must be doing something huh?
If this was all God did in my class today that would have been great; however, He also allowed me the chance to put my money where my mouth was. Right after Grace had sat down to my right, another international student from Mexico sat down directly to my left. However, he smelled of smoke, and my first reaction in my heart was shamefully, "I wish this guy would sit somewhere else, he smells terrible." What a PUKE I can be sometimes. However, I quickly confessed my lack of compassion toward Rodolfo, and began to listen to the lecture. The instructor mentioned the competitive advantages of Inn and Out burger and I vocally did my MMMMM to agree with him. An hour and a half later, I was inviting Rodolfo to Inn and Out Burger with me next week since he is only here for one more semester and hasn't experienced a little bit of heaven on earth through a tasty Double Double- Remember Nothum, I'm doing this for the gospel sake, not just to have a burger. . . Yeah. As we began talking, another international student from Mexico, Ramon, began talking with us as well. He mentioned another burger joint that is really good, so it looks like the next 2 Monday nights will be spent enjoying hamburgers and some good conversations with these 2 international students. As I walked out of the class with them, I was able to talk with them both for about 15 minutes. I invited them both to church as well, and they in turn invited me to a volleyball night they have, and will email me with any upcoming parties they're going to. Here is where the rubber really meets the road. Will I get out of my comfort zone to love on these guys and be like Jesus, or will I walk the easy road. "Lord give me wisdom as I pursue relationships with these three international students. Let them see that there time here in the U.S. was not to achieve an education in business, but a relationship with You. Let me be salty, and give me the time to invest in a friendship with these guys. All this for your name and glory. Amen."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home