Saturday, January 29, 2005

"BEEE YOURSELF"

What can I say, I'm a sucker for Disney movies. Not only do they entertain and have some cool tunes (tunes that I can and do sing frequently), but at times they can actually teach some great lessons. The Disney scene that I'm currently thinking of is from Aladdin when Genie tells Aladdin "beeee yourself" as Aladdin goes to talk with Princess Jasmine. Okay how does this relate to the sanctifying pursuit of God? For me, beeeing myself has proved to be so freeing as I live my life for God. However, this area of life is a continual reliance on the knowledge of who I am in Christ. Naturally the flesh desires to please people. . .why else would Paul remind slaves to serve their masters from the heart rather than as a way of eye service to please people?

Ephesians 6:5-8
5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, 6 not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, 7 rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, 8 knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a slave or free.

However, this is much easier said than done. Personally, I frequently think about pleasing other people by the way I live my life rather than just being who I am for the glory of God. However, the more and more I become sanctified to the likeness of Christ, I realize that this pursuit of people rather than the pursuit of God is meaningless. As I was talking with my sister Kristi today, I was taken back by her amazing wisdom on living a life just "beeeeing yourself," to please the Lord and not others. She told me of a friend that she has that loves her for who she is and not for who her friend might like her to be. We both came to the conclusion that being ourselves is so much more enjoyable than trying to act a certain way or do a certain thing to win the approval of others. When we are simply living our own personality with full confidence in the Lord, we can rest assured that God will be glorified by our desire to live for Him alone. If people don't like who we are, then may God bless them with friends that they like; but as for me, I'm gonna be the person God made me to be. . . My name is Brent Klontz, I'm 5ft 7 1/2in, I've got a loud laugh, I like to dance, I believe in the Sovereignty of God (TULIP), I don't like country music, I've got smaller hands than most 4th graders, the T.P. goes over not under, I like some chick flicks and black and whites, and its gotta be white and not wheat . . . this is who I am. . .I'm a child of of God(I Jn. 3:1), and my confidence is found in the blood of Christ that has been shed to make me free. Therefore, since my security is in Christ, I will "beeeeee myself." "Dear Father, thank you for the realization that I alone can be the best Brent Klontz in the world. You proclaim that you wove me together in my mothers womb. Allow me to praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. May my individuality reflect your glory, and allow me the grace to live to please you alone."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home