Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Bus Ride For Jesus

Having thought today that I need to live my life for the glory of God, I kept reminding myself that I needed to be a worshipper. I found myself just trying to thank God for things on my way to ASU this morning, and I couldn't stop thinking of things. If I stopped thinking of something to be thankful for, I thanked him that he let me get another 50 feet down the road without dying, for giving me the very breath I was breathing to thank Him, or for allowing me to be conscious of my many surroundings and drive at the same time (doing 2 things at once for me is very hard). This was a truly awesome experience that I do not have nearly enough! I know that I don't pray as much as I would like to, but when God gives me the grace to pray more frequently to Him, I am so excited. Why then do I not pray continually all the time? The answer must lie in either selfishness, busy-ness, self-reliance, sin, or a combination of the four. Anyway, today was such a blessing to be thinking of how I could worship God. As a result, I was able to glorify Him today by talking with a girl from one of my management classes. She is working on an international business major, so she talked about where she has traveled and which languages she can speak(she is currently learning her fourth-Spanish). Bingo. . . "so am I," I told her. But Spanish will not be my fourth, but my second. . . Ya. Well, I had a chance to tell her that the reason I wanted to learn Spanish was so that I would be able be more useful as a missionary wherever I was at. I also told her that I might have a chance to go to Mexico this summer to learn Spanish and be a missionary drum teacher and student.

As I finished class, I went outside to see the glory of God through the rain. Though this meant that I wouldn't be able to enjoy my fun skateboard ride back to my car, I was very content to find that I had just barely made the bus ride back to lot 59. . . this was great, for though the rain was beautiful, I didn't have an umbrella to enjoy it in. As I first got onto the bus, I quickly forgot that I had a purpose to worship. I don't know how this happens so quickly for me. One moment I can completely be worshipping the glory of the Lord, then the next I can be comfortable and apathetic. Quickly I realized that I desired to worship Christ even as I rode back to lot 59. . . I decided to reallign my focus. So, the comfortable and apathetic look turned into a smile of joy as I began to quietly worship the Lord. I quickly turned to look at the people around me to see if there was a conversation I could begin for the glory of God. Right next to me was a very buff guy. . . almost as buff as myself. . .don't laugh now. . . and he was wearing a pink bracelet that looked very odd for this buff guy to wear. It looked like the Lance bracelets, but it was pink. So, I leaned over and asked him what the bracelet symbolized or what it represented. He told me that it was for the cause of breast cancer. He then went on to tell me the struggle his mother in law had had with breast cancer and how she is now healed. I said, "praise God." He went on some more, and I had a chance to tell him that I think God puts us in different circumstances to allow us to remember that He is the creator of all things. We also become much more thankful for life in general, and we should realize that life should be lived for a purpose. I think he said his name was Kevin, but I can't really remember. After getting to my car, I was just beaming that God had given me a chance to glorify his name as I worshipped him today on an ASU bus. Indeed, I desire to reflect the joy of Christ, and I was truly blessed to be able to share one aspect of God's character to this guy. I hope and pray that this guy might wonder why his mom was allowed to live, and that this wonder and amazement would lead him to the understanding that he needs to be a worshipper of his creator.

1 Comments:

Blogger rustypth said...

Thanks for sharing that Brent. I am immensely encouraged to hear how God has allowed that special time of worship.

2:38 PM, February 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home