Tuesday, February 22, 2005

SALT AND LIGHT

Well I just wanted to write a quick update as to my opportunities to build relationships with my two international friends Ramon and Rudolfo. Yesterday we all went out to dinner again, and I had a chance to just be salt and light. Though I did not share the gospel, I have just been thoroughly enjoying hanging out with people that I don't usually have the pleasure of hanging with. We went out to a small burger joint over by ASU, and through the course of the conversation I posed the question, "what is one thing you guys want to do before you die." Our overall concensus was that we need to live each day as though it were our last, because we could die at any moment. As I just hang with these guys, I am astounded at how much we have in common, yet I know that my ultimate purpose in life is different. I live for the glory of God instead of my own happiness. Naturally, the soul that finds its rest in God is a happy soul, but this joy or happiness only comes when we are at peace with God. We can not simply aspire to have the peace of God, we need to be at peace with God. The difference is a positional relationship with God, and since I now have his standing of justification before God, God now calls me "friend."
More than anything, I desire to share this relationship with these guys. Though they know I am a believer, I don't think that I have effectively shared the gospel with them. Here is a great quote my friend Jon Roberts reminded me of a few weeks ago,
"People can't be saved by seeing a changed life, but by hearing the gospel. Your friends shouldn't just know where you stand, they should have heard the gospel from you!!"
This quote goes right in line with Ro. 1:16 where Paul affirms that it is the gospel that is the power of salvation to all who believe.
"Lord, make me know the balance of building relationships and knowing when to actually share the gospel. I know in my head that the gospel is what a dying world needs the most, but in my heart and my actions, I show a life that thinks they need a friend more than the gospel. Lord give me an opportunity to share the words of life with Ramon and Rudolfo. Thank you for their friendship, and now please give me boldness as the semester progresses and we continue to hang out. You have sovereignly put them in my life for a reason. If it is simply for them to see an example of a genuine believer, than thank you for the opportunity. However, if you desire me to share the gospel with them, please allow me the chance. I pray that your will would be done in my life, and that I would not scared to share your name. I love you dear Jesus, but cause this love to be manifest in word and deed, not just in word. All for your glory, Amen."

1 Comments:

Blogger rustypth said...

I'm glad you have a fervent desire to see your lost friends come to a saving knowledge of Christ. I completely agree that preaching the gospel is with words (Rom 10). And I think it goes without saying that our lives ought to be consistent with the good news that God saves sinners from their sins.

Preach it brotha!

11:07 PM, February 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home