Friday, April 14, 2006

BARLOW GIRLS

A few weeks ago I did what many guys would think is incredibly embarrassing. I went into Berean and bought the Barlow Girl CD. No, it wasn’t a gift from someone else, and they weren’t even having a special deal . . . I just wanted it. I’ve already had a least one guy friend make fun of me, but I had been so moved by their song “I Need You To Love Me,” that I decided to buy the CD. I guess this song has really described my life the last couple of days. It seems that I continually screw up, and I feel like I should work my way back to God whenever I fail. However, that is not the way grace works. I just did a study a few weeks ago on the word “justified,” and I was extremely encouraged as I remembered the truth behind this word. As a Christian, I have been “made right” and “declared righteous.” God has saved me once and for all, and there is nothing I can ever do to nullify His life saving grace on my life. I am JUSTIFIED! I thank the Lord for his grace on my life, and for friends like Isaac W. who seem to always be used to speak words of grace and truth to encourage me to live for Jesus with all my heart. Thanks man!

In the sanctifying pursuit, Brent

Well, here are the lyrics:

I NEED YOU TO LOVE ME

Why, why are You still here with me
Didn't You see what I've done?
In my shame I want to run and hide myself
But it's here I see the truth
I don't deserve You

[Chorus:]
But I need You to love me, and I
I won't keep my heart from You this time
And I'll stop this pretending that I can
Somehow deserve what I already have
I need You to love me

I, I have wasted so much time
Pushing You away from me
I just never saw how You could cherish me
'Cause You're a God who has all things
And still You want me

Your love makes me forget what I have been
Your love makes me see who I really am
Your love makes me forget what I have been

3 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Brent,
That is so funny guys are not "allowed" to buy CD's of girl music. I remember you telling me you bought it and how you wanted to play it off like it was for your sister. Funny guys... Anyways I really love that song and the lyrics are awesome. It is so amazing that through music we can be reminded of such amazing truths. Things we often forget. I say keep singing buddy for music is worshipful, encouraging and brings much joy. Besides what better way to express emotion? Well, anyways keep running.

1:28 PM, April 16, 2006  
Blogger rustypth said...

Brent -

Amen! Amen brother!

Justification is such a glorious truth for the Christian.

One of my favorite passages in the Bible is found after my fav passage, which reads: "Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Romans 5:1, NASB)

We are justified in this life through faith. The Lord gives His legal declaration that we are found to be not guilty by the divine faith that has been granted to us because of Christ. And since justification we have true peace with God. Not just a temporary cease-fire that coule erupt at any moment. But a lasting peace! Oh what joy this brings to my heart!

We should meet and talk about justification sometime =)

Btw, have you read James White's "The God Who Justifies" or Piper's "The Justification of God"?
If not, you should. You'd love both of 'em.

In Christ,
Count Casie

2:56 PM, April 18, 2006  
Blogger Kristie Braselton said...

Matthew gets made fun of all the time for some of the music he listens to. He'll go from Switchfoot to straight up Barbershop Quartet! Your appreciation for music is just a bit more sophisticated than most guys, so way to be secure enough to buy the cd to feed your soul. But if I see you in there flipping through a copy of "Becoming a Woman after God's Own Heart", we'll have to talk. :)

8:19 AM, April 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home