Sunday, February 19, 2006

Swing Dance Evangelism



About a month ago in the Training Center we did an awesome study on evangelism and I definitely left feeling very convicted about how I was lacking some of the proactive measures needed in order to make disciples. One of the chapters that we read talked about being involved in normal activities of life in order to place oneself in the opportunity of sharing the gospel. The book mentioned ideal scenarios like joining a sports team, a bowling league, and the like, in order to put oneself in a normal and comfortable environment with non-believers. As a result, about a week later when some friends told me they were going to go do one of my favorite pastimes, I quickly agreed to go with them . . . I agreed to go swing dancing. It is something I enjoy doing, it isn’t damaging to my own walk with the Lord, and it is full of pagans; in just the last two times of going, I’ve had a couple of great chances to share the gospel.

Tonight was an awesome opportunity. I had purposefully worn my “Supernatural Transformation” shirt and a gal named Lisa ended up commenting on the meaning of the shirt. I had a chance to tell her that it was implying the verse from Romans 12:1-2 about being like Jesus and not conforming to the standards of the world. Lisa asked if it represented any sect of religion or philosophy, and I had a chance to tell her that it was just straight from the Bible. Knowing that I would simply be dancing to a four minute song, I quickly began a follow-up conversation. I asked her, “So Lisa, do you go to church anywhere?” To which she replied “No.” “Oh, well what do you believe,” I said. She mentioned about her studies with “religion” and “philosophy,” and I asked her what she had been studying recently. She said, “I’ve recently been doing some research into Eastern religions.” She said that she wanted to know what faith was correct. I asked her how she was raised and she said that she had been baptized in the Catholic church but her dad had stopped liking the church when they switched to English services as opposed to the Latin service. She also said that they had been hurt by the church. I asked her if she believed in heaven and hell. She didn’t really agree with them and she believes that all people are “pretty good,” to which I applied, “how good would someone have to be to get to heaven?” She replied by saying, “that is a great question!” I wanted to know more about her standard of good and whether people are born being good, so I probed a little deeper. She definitely thought that people were born good to which I responded, “what baffles my mind is when I think of little kids who are never taught how to lie, cheat, or steal, but they just do it naturally. “That is a really great point,” she said. After finishing the song, I thanked her and told her that it was a pleasure talking with her. If I had to do it over again, the one thing that I would leave her with is the truth that Christ came to save sinners from their sin, and he did it by living a perfect life, dying on a cross, and rising again. Though the only reference I made to Christ was in the beginning when I was telling her about the meaning of my shirt, I still know that God will use the conversation in whatever way he desires. Well, I look forward to the many more opportunities that God will give me to proclaim the gospel as I do more East Coast, Charleston, or Lindy-Hop Swing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristie Braselton said...

That's really cool, Brent. Heather talks a lot about the opportunities presented in Swing Dancing so it's great to read such an awesome account of one. Keep dancing!

12:31 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger rustypth said...

Brent -

I'm so glad that our Lord granted you the opportunity to plant some seeds with your follow.

I will be praying that God might be pleased to cause those seeds to grow. Who knows, maybe you'll conveniently run into her again next week =)

Swing dancing is where it's at (though I'm taking an official break from it atm). If you're ever having a swing party again, lemme know.

CoB

1:03 PM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger Heather said...

Brent, just thought I would let you know that is awesome! I am excited you are out and about and excited for you to have ministry opportunities. Let me give you another great starting point for conversations. I always try to wear a sweatband when I go out and each one of these has a cross, or a vs, or something relating to Christ on them. You just might find that even if a conversation does not begin because of it you can look down and remember your purpose and realize it in turn encourages you to speak. Keep it up buddy and see you out dancing soon.

3:21 PM, February 22, 2006  
Blogger The Paasch-inator said...

Well, Brently John, praise God for this opportunity - perhaps he will double it again tomorrow - that is, if you go! ;)
*hint hint*

Thank you so much for setting an example of an incurable God lover - constantly sharing the Good News with others! God bless, big brother!

3:29 PM, February 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home